Hero Image

Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Case Study

by Access Legal


Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Ongoing investigation into carbon monoxide poisoning at work

We are acting for our client, Mrs Warren in connection with a carbon monoxide claim against her employers. She worked in a busy laundry and had felt unwell for several months. She was often sick at work, had terrible headaches and was constantly tired.

She thought she was just run down, but when an engineer visited her workplace to carry out maintenance on a boiler, it was discovered the exhaust duct on the boiler wasn't connected correctly. This meant that the fumes from the dryer were not being discharged outside.

Mrs Warren then realised that she may have been exposed to carbon monoxide. She sought medical attention from her GP and blood tests subsequently confirmed that diagnosis.

A claim is being brought against her employers under the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992, Management of Health and Safety at Work Regulations 1999, Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 and in negligence.

Responsibility for her accident remains in dispute with the employers suggesting that the equipment was not defective and that there were carbon monoxide detectors in place at the time.

Access Legal have obtained a number of statements from her colleagues confirming that despite a risk assessment carried out prior to Mrs Warren's diagnosis recommending that carbon monoxide detectors be installed, these were not in fact purchased and placed into the laundry until after Mrs Warren's diagnosis.

The case continues.