Hero Image

What to do if you are worried about how your affairs are being managed

by Access Legal


If you, or someone you are close to, have concerns or are worried that your Attorney or Deputy is not making decisions in your best interests, these should be raised with the Office of the Public Guardian anonymously if you prefer. The Office of the Public Guardian is responsible for monitoring Attorneys and Deputies, and can investigate allegations of mistreatment or fraud. It can report concerns to other agencies, such as the police or social services, if appropriate.

Office of the Public Guardian

Tel: 0115 934 2777   (Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm, Wednesday, 10am to 5pm)
Email: [email protected] 
Postal address:
           Office of the Public Guardian 
           PO Box 16185 
           B2 2WH 
Website: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/office-of-the-public-guardian

If the concern is about the social care decisions your Attorney or Deputy is making, contact the local social services adult protection team to discuss your worries.  If you suspect the vulnerable person could be in immediate danger, contact the police.

In England, if you have a concern about healthcare professionals and decisions made by them your local NHS Complaints Advocacy Service can offer support. Your local Healthwatch can provide more information In Wales, the local Community Health Council (CHC) should operate a Complaints Advocacy Service.

Useful organisations for further advice and guidance

Age UK

Tel: 0800 169 65 65 Lines are open seven days a week from 8am to 7pm.

Wales - Age Cymru

Tel:  0800 022 3444

Northern Ireland - Age NI

Tel: 0808 808 7575 

Scotland - Age Scotland (Silver Line Scotland)

Tel: 0800 470 8090 

Action on Elder Abuse

Tel: 0808 808 8141

Alzheimer’s Society

Tel: 0300 222 1122


Information, advice and support to users of health services in your area. It can also put you in contact with your local NHS Complaints Advocacy service.

Tel: 03000 683 000