Andrea qualified as a solicitor in 1989 having joined a previous firm as a trainee where she gained experience in personal injury for both claimants and defendants. From 1990 onwards Andrea undertook only claimant work and increased her experience of medical negligence work and was then promoted to Associate Solicitor.
Andrea joined Shoosmiths in 1992 where she continued to gain experience in personal injury and clinical negligence, increasing her medical negligence practice and being made a partner in 1995. Andrea has subsequently specialised in clinical negligence cases only since 1996.
Andrea is head of the clinical negligence team in Northampton consisting of six legal advisors and two PAs. In 1998 Andrea was accepted onto the AvMA panel of specialist solicitors and has retained that accreditation ever since. Andrea sat on the legal aid assessment panel for dealing with appeals against decisions by the legal aid agency and continued to volunteer for this for four years.
Andrea has experience of many types of medical negligence case, including cerebral palsy/birth injury, obstetrics, gynaecology, vascular, amputation, cardiology, and delayed diagnosis of cancer, wrongful birth, neurological injury and cauda equina.
She regards her legal expertise primarily as the means to help rebuild the lives of people and their families who have been injured as a result of negligent medical treatment and maintains that it is important to provide support and understanding throughout the process as well as achieving the best outcome that she can for her client.
- Mrs Chaudhry deceased- This was a claim against Northampton General Hospital for delayed diagnosis of breast cancer which led to the early death of Mrs Chaudhry. The claim was for the pain and suffering of Mrs Chaudhry before she died and a claim for financial losses for her and her husband and children.
- Mrs Quadling- A claim was brought against Northamptonshire Healthcare NHS Foundation trust for the negligent insertion of a placebo contraceptive device which led to the birth of twins. Mrs Quadling recovered compensation for loss of earnings and pain and suffering.
- Mrs Meehan- Recovered compensation for delay in diagnosing and treating necrotising faciitis against Heart of England Foundation Trust. She was compensated for loss of earnings, changes to her home, childcare and for pain and suffering now and in the future.
Testimonials from clients
- Paul Cockerton - 'Very impressive service, as much in the manner with which it was handled, as getting the best result for us.'
- Mrs Meehan - 'I just wanted to say a huge thank you to you and all your team from myself and my family you have made a massive difference to our lives.'
- Mr Chaudhry - 'As I got the best possible service, I have no idea how you can improve your service. I am 100% behind the service I received. From the start to finish I/we were updated on what was going to happen.'
- Mrs Coles - 'Genuine empathy and interest in the case and in my daughter as a "real" person and not just a source of income.'
Outside of work, Andrea also enjoys walking her dog, gardening, street church, Community Choir, Pilates and reading.
- LL.B. (Hons) Law (Manchester University)
- Legal Practice course Bristol Polytechnic